Patience and Yaya

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be in one of your househelp's shoes? How it would be like to be reprimanded almost every hour that YOU are around? Not to mention, be humiliated in front of many people? And how do they juggle to support their family in, say a P2000 monthly salary?

Often times I find myself staring at one of my kids yayas (plural talaga ha). I don't know what goes thru her mind every minute because I find myself reprimanding her almost all the time. I don't have much troubles with the other nannies but it's just this particular one.

She's 20-years-old, a single mother to a 1-year-old, dresses poorly, with an attitude like that of a naive girl. I would presume she never took care of her child as she's having trouble taking care of mine.

In most days, I wake up promising, to whomever can hear me, to be more compassionate and more patient with her but she just knows which button to push. I don't like nagging at all, makes me want to scream at someone's face.

But at the end of the day, when I find myself staring at her again, I wondered how she felt. If I were in her shoes, would I have talked back? To sum it up, I'm hurting for her. Though I'm paying her to look after my kids, she's still human after all. This time around I'm trying to extend my patience. It's not easy with 3 kids shouting and crying my way, but that's the reality. I'm crossing my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment